Saturday, March 24, 2007

Punished Punctuality

It has been done. Evan and I signed up for Netflix. I would like to make clear that this was something I was initially firmly against, being that Netflix was a big reason Alphaville went out of business, personally a very sensitive topic. However, after exploring Netflix a bit more (seeing our options, lining up our queue, etc.) there are admittedly many added conveniences that come along with this membership.
But honestly, I still can't say I'm OK with it. It just feels... evil. Like when you go to Wal-Mart or McDonald's - it's that same feeling. I couldn't find any justification for this feeling, so I turned to Google: E-V-I-L N-E-T-F-L-I-X. Over a million results!
I found this article (which I highly recommend reading) on msnbc.com, explaining how if renters return their movies "too quickly" their accounts are "throttled", which delays movie shipments and re-queues your order! Apparently the "unlimited rentals" is a bunch of bull if you exhibit any sort of prompt character... Which I do!
We definitely watch a lot of movies in this house, considering we don't watch TV, we're students and don't have that much expendable income. So needless to say, this came as a great concern to me. We just got our first movies in the mail yesterday, so no harm has been done... yet.
I really hope this is worth it... I miss Alphaville.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Ah, the demise of Alphaville was a shame for sure.
Perhaps this will quell your anxiety. NetFlix is a great business model! How clever, easy and cheap (especially when you factor in late fees that SOME people I know got with nearly every rental). I like to support innovative ideas that use technology in a positive way and NetFlix does! We've had periods where we watch a lot of movies and the returns have been quick and reliable. I think the rumors are a bunch of bunk. They were probably started by the evil ones at McDonalds.