Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I Got Inland in My Brain

Last night, I had an altogether unforgettable experience: I saw Inland Empire. (Here's the Wikipedia article and a trailer if you haven't heard of it.) I'd like to say I have a wide range of tastes when it comes to film genres, however, going from seeing Happy Feet the night before to this was perhaps too drastic of a jump. Either way, I don't think there was much that could have prepared me for this film.
Wow... I'm not really sure what I can say... Well, I would like to start off by saying I thought I actually did prepare myself for this viewing: I knew it was by David Lynch (i.e., emotional rollercoaster, optional plot, occasional disturbing images), I already considered it to be an epic film (I knew it was 3 hours long) and I accepted that I most likely wouldn't understand any of it. But I tried so hard! I wanted to understand something, just one thing. My brain was working so rigorously, trying to formulate connections, conclusions, even hypotheses but... nothing. Maybe that was the point.
This morning was dedicated to searching the internet, trying to find something that would bring me some resolve. But nothing helped. Either people were quick to call it a masterpiece (probably just because they didn't get it) or say that no plot existed, it was purely emotionally based. I'm not here to give you an in depth analysis, trust me I wouldn't know where to start, but I just wanted to say these few things:
  • I can't call it a masterpiece - like I said, I couldn't find one plot line in the entire 3 hours! But, the acting was amazing, I thought it was a beautiful film, and it did seem genuinely random (a truly difficult task).
  • I'm glad I saw it. I don't feel like I wasted 3 hours of my life, instead I got to see something original, different, definitely something that will stay on my mind for many moons.
I don't like my blog to be too serious so here are some happy trees to brighten your day.

No comments: