Sunday, March 4, 2007

Don't Punch That Wall!!


A few days ago, I read this article on Null Hypothesis about anger. It argues against the idea that venting anger is the best solution. Instead they suggest just trying to calm down and taking a few deep breaths should solve the problem more successfully. This got me thinking...
I'm not much of a "venting anger" kind of girl, but the few times I've let myself explode and do something emotionally rash, the feeling I had afterwards was not one of satisfaction, but of embarrassment and guilt for what I just did. So, needless to say, I was happy to read this news. During the past few days, I've consciously tried to test this hypothesis, and I have to say, I like it. At least with little things. I mean, I haven't really had anything ridiculously anger provoking occur in the last couple of days, just the standard items of frustration: being late, traffic, not being able to find that other sock, birthday presents, you know. But through all that, by simply trying to relax I've stopped myself at frustration, and not moved on to actual anger. Plus I actually feel like those feelings dissipate. So like the author of the article writes, "Next time I'm ready to explode I'll hug that pillow instead of beating the living daylights out of it."

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I usually just cry, ha ha ha. But only for 0.02 seconds.

Anonymous said...

But you know what they say HaleBop, "Serenity now... Insanity later." -Lloyd Braun of Sienfeld