Monday, April 9, 2007

Trash the Tube


This morning, I discovered one blogger's list of the top ten reasons why not to own a television, and myself being a non-owner of one, I was intrigued. I decided I would fashion my own list, incorporating several of the same arguments, but the point being it would be my list. There are few things in my life that have come closer to the satisfaction felt from posting an original, well written post. I know, this one isn't completely original, but at least I didn't cut and paste, something I was considering.

So without further ado, my list.
If you don't own a television...
  • You save money. Even if you're not paying for Comcast or On-Demand, you're still paying something, even if it's just the electricity. That alone can cost you almost 50 bucks a year!
  • You have more energy. I swear, TV sucks the life out of you. Once you stop watching, you'll notice you want to do stuff, like actual productive living. Which leads me to my next point,
  • Your house will be cleaner. Without a TV there to distract you, you'll finally notice all the things around the house that need to get done. That lightbulb'll get replaced, those dead cockroaches will get swept up and you'll notice how unearthly disgusting your microwave is.
  • You have an ungodly amount of free time. Now, you can finally take up a new hobby, maybe blogging! Guaranteed, if we watched TV, Gum & Carrots would have never been born.
  • You don't feel like a zombie. I remember sitting in front of the tube for hours on end, absorbing all those ads and mindless entertainment. When I would finally get up to actually do something, I felt like I just woke up from a dream, like I had been in some alternate universe for those last few hours. What a waste. Life's too short to spend it zoned out.
Okay, so my list only has 5 points, but I felt that was adequate to do the no-TV life justice.
Anyway, even if you can't necessarily get rid of your television, (you live with family, roommates, etc.) at least try not turning it on for a week, just to see what it would be like. Trust me! You won't regret it!

No comments: